Royal Corinthian Yacht Club
The Royal Corinthian Yacht Club ( RCYC) was stated on the River Thames at Erith in 1872. Some of the members of the club enjoyed sailing on the River Crouch and so the Club opened a branch in 1892 at Burnham initially holding meetings in the White Harte Hotel and then by using a building at Priors Quay until 1911 when they based themselves at a building near to the site of their current clubhouse.
clubhouse in about 1900
The clubhouse in about 1900
Queen Victoria granted the right to incorporate Royal into the title of the club in 1892 from when the club was known as the Royal Corinthian Yacht Club. The current Royal Patron is Princess Royal .
the Old Clubhouse still stands on the Quay today
In 1930 the Club moved to a purpose built Clubhouse which was built on vacant land near to the old clubhouse .This building which was designed by architect Joseph Emberton was considered a masterpiece and won many architectural awards including the architects medal for 1931.
From a sailing viewpoint the building was a triumph with wide verandas overlooking the River giving unrivalled views .
The Club has become established as one of the most important Clubs in the UK including Americas Cup bids, Olympic medallists and world champions and the adoption of a specific class of yacht.
The Club celeberated an Olympic gold medal in the 6 metre class
during the 1939 Olympics. For more details
The Club celeberated an Olympic gold medal in the 6 metre class during the 1939 Olympics. For more details click here.
The Club has a busy program of racing which included Dragons, Squibs, 707's, RCOD's and cruisers and a social scene to match the racing.
Young people are well catered for with the Otters Junior Section building the skills of our future champions.
How do I contact the Royal Corinthian Yacht Club?
The Quay, Burnham on Crouch , CM0 8AX
Click here to visit the web site of the Royal Corinthian Yacht Club