St Mary the Virgin Church

The full name of the church is St Mary the Virgin although it is affectionately known as St Mary's throughout the area.

A church was first recorded on this site in 1155 although the current St Mary's Church is of 14th century origin.

St Mary's Church has been referred to as the cathedral of the marshes.


The are daily services with the exception of Mondays


Construction was mainly of ragstone although there are traces of roman bricks which may have come from a roman villa which is rumoured to have stood nearby.

The Church has 9 bays with a castellated aisle on the south and 9 perpendictural windows with panel tracery.

The south porch has a Tudor linenfold paneled door. Over the porch are gargoyles and  the arms of the Fitzwalter Family, Sir Robert Ratcliffe and Little Dunmow Priory.

The west tower has angle buttresses, a perpendicular, west window with reticulated tracery and a castellated parapet. The upper part was rebuilt in 1703.

Rebuilding, extensions and restoration have taken place at regular intervals leaving us with the beautiful building that we see today.

In 1774 a major fire occurred that destroyed the roof and most of the furnishings.

The interior is undivided between nave,chancel and aisles. The brick floors were laid in the early 18th century although some of the bricks date from the Tudor period.

The pulpit was installed in 1877 and is built from stone and marble in Victorian style.

The pulpit is a memorial to local oyster merchant William Auger who was a churchwarden from 1862 to 1877.

A plain square font of purbeck marble originated in about 1200 AD which means that it may have been part of the original church.

Between the Church and Burnham Hall there is a reminder of the days when the gentry rode to church with the provision of mounting steps which were no doubt put to use by the nearly old dairy.

Web Site

The church has an excellent web site. Click here to visit.

Click here to visit the Church Facebook Page


tel 01621 782071

Southminster Road, Burnham on Crouch.